Wednesday, October 25

 
An update
Wow, I can't believe almost two months have gone by since I updated. That's pretty lax.

As an excuse (that does not even go halfway to an explanation), and by way of compensation, I'll give you a report of my most recent activity. From 5pm to 5am today and yesterday, I and about 40 other people occupied a lecture hall at Cambridge university in the name of Education Not for Sale. And, I've got to say, it was probably the most exciting thing I've done in a very long while. We had a number of lectures given by academics on variouls left-wing themes, as well as a film showing, organised and informal discussion (I missed much of this, unfortunately, as I spent much of my time outside the lecture hall manning the doors and talking to the various representatives of the university). The teach-in ran with no real trouble: we had a rather bemused caretaker, two gruff security guards, a friendly assistant secuity manager, and some polite proctors (wearing gowns and accompanied by a university constable, who has police powers within the city) - they nevertheless did threaten us with academic discipline. They took names and colleges, and I certainly expect to be called to meet the dean at some point, though I'm fairly confident that they won't deny twoscore people their degrees.

I might add to this some more information about the precise circumstances of the action. Or I could go on hiatus for another two months. Hopefully the former.

Edit: Here is a report and statement. Worth noting that there will be a national demonstration in London on Sunday.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License